Minutes of Meeting 10 January 2012

MINUTES OF A MEETING OF HOLME LACY PARISH COUNCIL HELD AT 7.00 PM, TUESDAY, 10 JANUARY 2012, IN THE VILLAGE HALL, HOLME LACY

Present: Mrs C. Harris (in the chair), Mr K. Bishop, Mr M. Edwards, Mr B. Hince, Mr R. Hungerford,
Mr R. Macadie, Mr T. Williams
Mr A. Lee, Footpaths Officer
Mr Peter Sinclair-Knipe, Ward Councillor

12/1. APOLOGIES: CSO Fiona Witcher
12/2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST: None
12/3. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
RESOLVED that the minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 1 November 2011 were agreed as a
correct record and were signed by the Chairman.
12/4. HEREFORDSHIRE COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
The Prime Minister had visited Herefordshire the previous Thursday. Was very interested in the Enterprise
Zone. Asked to be kept in touch about it direct. A D notice had been issued to prevent publicity beforehand.
There were a lot of initiatives going on at present, Localism Act, Herefordshire localities working, and
Councillor Sinclair-Knipe urged the Parish Council to grasp the opportunities and plan and keep up to speed
on them.
Clerk to re-send email of 30 September 2011.
Clerk to contact Kath Greenow about setting up a meeting of Chairman and Clerks of the Parish Councils in
Hollington Ward.
Bus services – Clerk had been contacted to say that the bus service had been altered to pick up and drop off
students in Holme Lacy avoiding them using the causeway. However when the times of the service were
checked they were not available at the right times. Clerk to email Councillor Sinclair-Knipe.
12/5. CLERK’S REPORT – circulated
12/6. COMMUNITY POLICING – None
PUBLIC FORUM:
The meeting was attended by Mr and Mrs Pritchard from Bower Cottage who complained about the
disturbance, language and behaviour during football matches on the College sports field alongside their
garden. Councillor Sinclair-Knipe would approach the College on their behalf.
12/7. CORRESPONDENCE
Circulation: Mr Hungerford, Mr Williams, Mrs Harris, Mr Macadie, Mr Bishop, Mr Edwards, Mr Hince.

(1) Standards and the Localism Bill – brief outline of proposals to replace the Standards Committees in
England in Herefordshire.
(2) Community Action against Crime – Innovation Fund
12/8. VILLAGE HALL
Minutes of the village hall meeting of 1 November had been circulated.

12/9. HOLME LACY AND ECOHERE
Following the presentation at the last meeting Ms Burton from Ecohere had emailed to find out if the Parish
Council had decided to take part in this part.
AGREED were not able to take part at the present time but were interested for the future. To look at
reviewing the Parish Plan.
12/10. QUEEN’S DIAMOND JUBILEE
The Football Club was interested in organising a celebration.
AGREED to buy mugs for all the children at the school and in the village. The Chairman to find out numbers.
12/11. COMMUNITY GRANT FUNDING
To find out whether this grant would cover the cost of setting up wireless network in the village hall.
12/12. TRAINING
The following courses had been booked:

(1) Hall of Fame – village halls – 12.1.2012 – Chairman/Clerk
(2) Neighbourhood Planning – 8.2.2012 – Chairman/Clerk
(3) AGREED to pay the cost of the Clerk attending the SLCC Practitioners Conference – £199.
(4) Clerk to apply for training bursary

12/13. BROADBAND/WEBSITE
Neither the Clerk nor Mr Hungerford had received any follow up from the recent survey. Clerk to chase.
The website was very good. Reminded about photographs to go on the website. Agendas and approved
minutes could be placed on the website. Mr Hungerford requested as much feedback as possible.
12/14. COMMEMORATIVE TREE
The tree was in terminal decline. It could last another couple of years or just one.
AGREED that Mr Keogh should shorten the branch overhanging the road at a cost of approximately £100.
12/15. HEREFORD CONNECT2 GREENWAY – PUBLIC STEERING GROUP
The next meeting 16 February 2012 at Saxon Hall, Hereford.
The present route would extend to Chapel Lane. The major difficulty was getting the route around Sink
Green. Mr Lee, Chairman of the Steering Group, said now they were in the new year they would be looking
for alternative funding to extend the route to Holme Lacy.
12/16. ROADS AND FOOTPATHS

(1) General road maintenance – number of potholes on the road through Hollington.
(2) Causeway – no report.
(3) Footpaths – Mr Lee, Footpaths Officer, had money available to replace some stiles by gates but needed
landowners’ permission. Was trying to get bridge on Mr Macadie’s land replaced. Parish footpaths map –
would probably need a new noticeboard.

12/17. PLAYING FIELD

(a) Repairs to adventure trail – replacement parts had not yet been ordered.
(b) Half pipe – Clerk was meeting a representative from Sovereign Play Equipment to look at the site and
draw up plans without obligation on 11 January 2012 at 3 pm.
(c) Next meeting of Playing Field Committee was re-arranged from 8 to 15 February.
(d) Football Club fees for 2011/2012 – because of the problems with the pitch the Club had not used it this
season.

AGREED to waive the fees for the 2011/2012 season.

(e) Complaint had been dealt with in the Public Forum. It did not relate to the Parish Council playing field.
(f) Mr Bishop reported that the broken window in the garage alongside the field had been boarded up.

12/18. PLANNING

(a) New applications:
(1) DMS/113465/F – Herefordshire College of Technology, Holme Lacy Campus – proposed development
comprises an extension of the existing College ‘Straw Bale Cafe’ to create two new accessible classrooms
and associated circulation/storage space. No objections.
(b) Results:
(1) DMS/112839/FH – Brick Kiln Barn, Ufton Court, Holme Lacy – proposed garage/store/
workshop: Refused
(2) DMS/112991/FH – Rose Cottages, Bridge Road, Holme Lacy – proposed porch and front door:
Granted
(c) The new application had been on the new electronic system. Although the Parish Council had not agreed
to receive planning applications electronically, the Clerk had decided to go ahead to find out how it worked.
The biggest problem was that because she was in a poor broadband area for speed the drawings, etc, had
taken about 45 minutes to download. It also confirmed that the Parish Council would need a projector to view
the applications as viewing them on a laptop was not satisfactory.

12/19. FINANCE

(1) Insurance for Clerk’s PC – £79 for twelve months – AGREED
(2) Renewal of subscription for Local Councils Update – £75 – the Clerk felt that the cost now outweighed any
benefits – AGREED not to renew.
(3) Clerk’s annual subscription to SLCC – £72 – AGREED
AGREED that the following accounts be paid.
(a) Accounts for payment:
£50 – HALC – Hall of Fame training session – Chairman/Clerk
£79.99 – Microsoft Office 2010 for Clerk’s laptop
£654.96 – Mrs L. A. Taylor, Clerk (£468.69 salary (after PAYE deducted) for quarter ended
31.12.2011 and £186.27 expenses)
£134.40 – HMRC – PAYE
£87.15 – British Gas – village hall – to be refunded by Village Hall Committee
£79 – Mrs L. A. Taylor, Clerk – renewal of PC insurance
£72 – SLCC – renewal of Clerk’s annual subscription
Aviva – direct debit – village hall insurance (updated):
£94 – September 2011
£96.64 x 3 – October, November, December 2011

(b) Receipts: Nil

(b) Parish Lengthsman:
Accounts for payment:
£76.50 – Mr G. Jones, Lengthsman
£30.38 – Mrs L. Taylor, Administrator – quarter ended 31.12.2011
Receipts: Nil
AGREED adjourn other items under Finance to a Parish Council meeting on 23 January 2012 and to set the
precept at that meeting.
(c) Balances in hand at 31.12.2011
Parish Council
Nationwide Building Society
Playing Field Committee

(d) Parish Lengthsman’s scheme
Receipts:
Accounts for payment:
Balances in hand at 31.12.2011

(e) Parish plan grant
Receipts: Nil
Accounts for payment: Nil
Balances in hand at 31.12.2011: £894.94
(f) Parish Paths Partnership PF3:
Receipts: Nil
Accounts for payment:
Balances in hand at 31.12.2011: £1434.00
(g) Review of banking arrangements
(h) Bank reconciliation to 31.12.2011 and expenditure against budget to 31.12.2011 circulated

12/20. ANY OTHER ITEMS – for information only
There being no other business the meeting was closed.